Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Strength of Intention

This story was narrated to me by my late FIL(#1), a retired Headmaster, some 25 years ago and is written here from my not so-strong memory.

Pak Cin (not real name) operated a meat stall in the wet market of Alor Star. I am not sure whether he was the owner or just a worker. Although he was not earning much, his children were rather successful, three have already graduated and were working in the capital city while the other one was studying overseas. Pak Chin was one of the follower (makmum) of my late FIL, at a surau located beside my late FIL’s house.

One evening after the sunset (maghrib) prayer while waiting for evening (Isya) prayer, my late FIL prodded Pak Chin “ When are you going to Haj, Pak Cin (he was known as Pak Chin and my late FIL addressed him as Pak Cin although he much younger than my late FIL)”

“Oh where can I find the money, Chikgu. Saya hanya kais pagi makan pagi (what I earned in the morning, I ate it in the morning)… but I have the intention to go to Mecca to perform the Haj, one day..” came the reply.

“Ha, good ..you do have intention! How strong is your intention.. do Pak Chin have buku simpanan Tabung Haji (Tabung Haji saving book)?" said the retired Chikgu.

"No, Chikgu, I do not have the book as I thought I do not have much money to save, not while my children are still studying" said humble Pak Chin.

"OK, now that most of them are working, why don't you go and open up an account for yourself and bring your wife to open up an account for her as well, maybe you should go tomorrow then " said my late FIL, who can be rather commanding, at times.

The following evening, my late FIL asked Pak Chin about the previous day conversation.

"Yes, I went and open up the account but my wife refused, she told me 'Ah, why bother!, we are not going to get enough money to perform the Haj from your meat stall's income anyway" Pak Chin informed my late FIL rather sadly.

"Good, after our prayers; why don't you telephone your daughter, tell her of your intention to go to Mecca and perform the Haj next year, give her the account number and ask her to tell the other children as well" countered the old Chikgu.

"InsyaAllah, I will do everything that Cikgu has recommended" replied Pak Chin.

The next two evening, Pak Chin beaming with pride told the maghrib congregation that his eldest daughter has deposited RM500 to his account.

"Don't you think, you should ask your wife whether she would like to open an account as well?" my late FIL asked.

"Oh I will try to persuade her tonight" Pak Chin replied.

A few days later, Pak Chin came for the congregational prayer and proudly announced that another RM1000 has been deposited into his account by his two other children. The children did promised to try deposit more money should they have some to spare so as to ensure their father can perform the Haj next year. A few days earlier, Pak Chin has informed the congregation that his wife has refused to open an account - saying that she do not want to unnecessarily burden her children.

Less than two and a half months later, Pak Chin's youngest daughter, who was then studying in the States, won a second prize, worth USD5,000 in an essay competition. She has told her father that she entered into the competition, which offered USD10,000 as first prize, only after hearing that her father wish to go to Mecca and perform the Haj next year. She also told her father that she will be depositing RM5,000 to her father's account as soon as she get her hand on the prize money.

The Tabung Haji fare (for going to Mecca and perform the Haj and come back) in 1985 was a little bit less than RM5,000 per pax. Thus with RM7,500 in his account, Pak Chin has enough money to perform the Haj, the next year -alone, within three month of making known and acted on his intention.

He duly went to Mecca and performed the Haj as planned.

Now we will never know whether their youngest daughter can win that USD10,000 first prize should the mother also declared her intention to perform the Haj with Pak Chin.

16 comments:

R.A.S said...

Yes...miracles work in many ways kan En. Wan. With the noblest of intention and sincerity with it, insya-allah..Allah will permit the things we intend for to happen.
A nice story!

mamasita said...

Allahhuakbar.
What a beautiful story of Pak Chin and your late FIL..
Allah makbulkan niatnya nak pergi Mekah.Thanks for your late FIL's encouragement too.

Wan Sharif said...

Puan Rosfida,
Thank you for dropping a line.. Hai musim cuti sekolah ni..pukul 3:00 pagi, Cikgu masih belum tidur lagi..
Kekadang keyakinan kita terhadap kebesaran dan kekayaan Allah menghalang kita untuk menjadi hambaNYAyang lebih kaya, lebih redha dan lebih yakin mengharungi kehidupan yang terbatas di dunia ini.
Have a nice well-earned holiday Cikgu.. (peep you blog and read about that Time Square thingy.. he,he)

Wan Sharif said...

Salam Mamasita,
Selamat datang ke gobok kecil saya.. thanks for dropping a comment... selalu juga saya kunjungi blog mamasita .. maaf tak tinggal komen.. kekadang nampak macam sedikit exclusive .. tak mau kacau daun ..he..he

Have a good day and take care.

Unknown said...

..and so I told my children I intend to make the trip to Mecca next year...:)

Wan Sharif said...

FatabarakALLAH!!
Allah bless you Pak Mat.. if that is true, if you told them after reading this entry.. then engkaulah sahabatku didunia dan akhirat..
Whatever it is , InsyaALLAH dengan kurniaNYA yang Mahaluas.. kalau umur panjang..

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Ayoh Wang,
Our parents have been to Makkah but they're already talking about going again. The only objection I have is that we'll have to stay with other families for the duration. Would you like to babysit us? har har har *evil laughs*

DrSam said...

Salam Pak Wan. I am really touched by this story. thank you for sharing. this is really a good one, it inspire me.

Wan Sharif said...

CiS,
To babysit you while your parents are in Makkah.. Kecil tapak tangan, nyiru Ayoh Wang tadahkan.. U R very very welcome to Teratak Teratai Ampang. Ayah Wan dah biasa buat tugas gitu.. Baraqah sungguh you..

Tapi saya bimbang nanti ramai pula kawan-kawan blogger CiS yang kecik hati nanti, semua berebut-rebut nak babysit CiS..

Baru maghrib tadi Mok Wang goreng ikan selayang celop tepong.. Ayoh Wang teringat juga dekat CiS.. tentu CiS suka punya.. hiargh..ha.. kind laugh from a full stomach..

Wan Sharif said...

Wa'alaikumussalam DrSam,
Thank you for the kind words.
What was rather sad for me when I first heard the story, was the attitude of Pak Chin's wife.. she does not want to have anything to do with her husband's action on the intention.
Her action is an action of someone who lacks belief in Allah's bounty(?). It may discourage her husband if not for encouragement he had received from the other source. Wallahua'lam

Lee said...

Hi Wan Sharif, fate, belief and prayers does work. And God does sometimes work his ways unexpectedly.
Very interesting this memory, beautiful recollections.
Hope the daughter can join her father doing the pilgrimage. It is good to do that once in a lifetime.
Best regards, and have a pleasant week, Lee.

Mamaboyz said...

assalamualaikum Pak Wan

came here via pakmat's blog and ended up reading all your posts :)

i look forward to your future insights in life...keep writing!

i am putting the triple filter story in my facebook or maybe my blog, i hope you dont mind

Wan Sharif said...

Salute Bro. Lee,
Thanks again for dropping by and your kind work.
I am afraid I did not do much follow up on Pak Chin as for the past 20 years I only passed through Alor Star on two occasions, both on my trips to Perlis.
Psst , this is a story from my past life, 10 years as SIL of Alor Star couple he..he..

Wan Sharif said...

Wa'alaikumussalam drwati.
Welcome to gerobok kecil saya. Thank you for your kind words. You are more than welcome to use the triple test but do remember I aslo took it from a friend who told me the ultimate owner of it is Allah..so I guess he would not mind..
Take care.

ninotaziz said...

Wow, I am really enjoying my foray and visit to your blog. A really touching and motivating story.

Maybe here is an insight to the plight of GAZA.

Wan Sharif said...

Salam Ninotaziz,
Thanks for the visit and your walk-on -water comment. Surely you can sense how much I had enjoyed my foray and visit to you various blogs yesterday. My blog with once a blue moon entry is, how should I say it, is no where close, "jauh panggang dari api"..
Anyway thank you again for the visit and salam perkenalan..